As the old saying goes, hindsight is 20/20. No matter what the situation or event, it always seems like there's certain things you wish you knew before hand that may have resulted in you making different decisions. Well, prom is no exception to this rule. It's a big day with lots of planning, and one where you tend to have high expectations. While you always hope that prom day will go exactly how you envisioned it for months, that's usually now how the day actually goes down.
That's why we were happy to see that 20-year-old Olena of YouTube fame, known by her YouTube name IamJustaMakeupLover, listed out the 10 things that she wished she knew before attending her prom. She explained that she had planned her prom day out schedule by schedule, hour by hour, but things tended to veer off course a little. Watch the video below to see what she wished she knew before attending prom.
Below a quick run-down of everything to know before going to prom, from Olena's video. Olena said she gave 10 tips, but we actually heard 11 great prom day tips from her!
Prom Day Tips from YouTuber IamJustaMakeupLover:
- Things will go wrong - go with the flow.
- Don't stress out over your date; if you're not in a serious relationship or don't have a BFF you're going with as a date, your date really only comes into play when it comes to the pictures. You'll be dancing the night away with your friends the rest of the time!
- It's okay to not have a group. You'll see your friends at prom, and don't worry about the pictures so much.
- Uncomfortable shoes are optional! You'll most likely be wearing a long dress where you won't even see your shoes, so choose ones that are comfortable for 5 hours of being on your feet and adjust your dress to those shoes.
- Make sure you do your hair in a way that's comfortable.
- Do a makeup test run. Even if you go to MAC or Sephora, you could end up with a look you're not comfortable with. When you do the test run, take pictures with your eyes closed, eyes opened, and to the side so that the look can be easily re-created by anyone.
- False eyelashes are a must! They look great in pictures. You're supposed to look fabulous at prom, after all! Also, remember to use waterproof mascara because there may be lots of crying!
- Don't trust your makeup artist on their artistic vision - know what you want and tell them! Olena recommends going with a natural, bridal inspired look, perhaps that's a little more dramatic and smokey.
- Have a backup place for your pictures - have an indoor, and outdoor, and another indoor. It may rain on your prom night, or schedules may end up being re-arranged.
- Don't feel like you need a stretch limo. A small limo or even a black car is fine (our tip: you could even have fun in a sports car, like a Mustang, if you or a friend own one!). It's just a ride! You may also want the ride to take you from prom to wherever you're going after-prom.
- Have fun, it's a celebration! Dance and have fun with your friends because you won't see them for much longer with school ending and going off to whatever comes next for you after high school.
One last tip from us: while it's of course important to simply go with the flow come prom day (just like Olena mentions), start thinking of your prom day as early as possible to try to prevent as many unwanted surprises as you can. Olena's tips will certainly help with this! Good luck on your special day!!