The process of finding that perfect prom dress, shoes, accessories, and everything else that goes into a prom night to remember is one that takes time and lots of research. It's important to start the process as early as possible in order to ensure you can take your time and not settle for anything you don't want.
Part of the process to be prom ready that isn't always discussed with enough time to make an impact is working out! Toning up your body just the slightest bit can make all of the difference in the world for not only how you look, but how you feel in your dress. Knowing you put the time and effort in to look your best, from choosing a dress that fits your body perfectly, to your hair and make-up, to putting the time in to follow a routine workout, will have you feeling as confident as ever on the dance floor.
That's why we were happy to see that certified fitness instructor of YouTube fame Cassey Ho recently posted a workout specifically for looking perfect in your prom dress to her YouTube channel Blogilates! She calls it her official prom dress workout, and it takes you through a handful of workouts that you can do in your own home - no gym needed, and completely equipment free. All you need is your own body and the will and focus to stay on-point from now through your prom date (and hopefully keeping at it well after prom!). Continue reading →
Summer may be over, but that doesn't mean it's time to drop all the exercises you've been doing to stay in tip-top summer shape. We know that it can be hard to find the motivation when there's no bikinis to be wearing, so here's some simple workouts you can do that are so easy they can barely even be considered workouts! These workout ideas come from Seventeen Magazine - they're our favorites from their 10 Easy "No Workout" Workouts list. So, if you like the ideas below and want more, just head over to their site. And, of course, if you need a little motivation to get started, just remember that it's #FitnessFriday.
Tooth Brush Wall Sits
Rather than simply standing over the sink while you’re brushing your teeth, stand against the wall with your legs extended. They should be about two feet from the wall. Then, slowly bend your knees to slide down the wall until you reach a seated position. Make sure that your back is flat against the wall and your knees are positioned behind your toes.
Seventeen recommends starting out holding the squat position for 30 seconds, and work your way up to a minute. Then, stand up, take a quick break, and repeat until you're done brushing your teeth (which, should be 2-3 minutes in total). This is something you can do every time you brush your teeth - an easy and efficient way to work on toning your legs and butt!
Ride Your Bike Everywhere!
Forget your car or the school bus. If your destination is within biking distance, sneak in a workout by hopping on your bike! Biking is a great way to get an all body workout, from your legs to your arms. And, not only will you get a little endorphin high, but it's good for the environment...and saving money on gas, of course!
Seventeen recommends biking at least 3 times a week. If you're new to cycling, just make sure to take it slow in the beginning until you build up your endurance.
Dance, Dance, Dance!
When you're out at parties with friends, put your body to work by dancing! Get your friends off their butts and onto the dance floor and you'll all be having the most fun cardio workout around. The best part about this "no workout" workout is getting to also rock your favorite dress!
Seventeen Magazine says to try to keep yourself moving for an hour at a time, ideally twice a week. You can always dance in front of your mirror, too, if you're not out at parties twice a week. And, with your Homecoming Dance coming up, one night is already in the bag!
These are all great workouts to make sure you don't lose all that summer work you've done, especially since Homecoming Season is here. Do you have any easy workouts that you do? Leave us a comment below and share them with us!
We're sure you've heard all about P90X at this point - from friends, family, and if you're a late nighter, the constant advertisements! Tony Horton, the spokesperson for the home fitness program, states that all you need is 90 days to get "huge results" with P90X. Sound a little too good to be true? Maybe! But, with Prom right around the corner, this may just be the exercise routine to make sure you look perfect in your dress on prom night!
Some of the Roo Girls here have tried P90X out, but have only given the program a couple of sessions so far. The girls have said it's definitely very hard and seems promising, but is it worth the dedication with so little time left until you're putting on your prom dress? We've been perusing the Internet to get the answer, and have especially liked Shape Magazine's reasons to keep with the program.
Our favorite reasons from Shape that made the Roo Girls decide to keep at it are:
1. Well-rounded workouts: P90X works your body from every angle, since it draws from weight lifting, interval training, martial arts, and even yoga. It's a great way to increase your power, strength, balance, and athletic ability, and will not only get you looking fit for prom, but in tip-top shape for whatever sport you may play!
2. Less risk of injury: Shape Magazine mentions: "Injuries often happen when you repeat the same motion over and over again, as in running. P90X has you changing your routine so often that it reduces your risk of repetitive use injuries." Sounds like a good way to not risk going to prom in a cast to us!
3. No boredom: One of our biggest hurdles with working out is the repetitiveness of going to the gym every day and hopping on either the treadmill or the bike. P90X is all about variety - one day you're doing interval training, and the next you're boxing.
4. Mental Toughness: It's always difficult to force yourself to do things that you've never done before. But, prom represents the end of a phase for many people - Seniors will be moving onto college, and Juniors will soon become Seniors and getting ready for the next big phase in their lives. So, what better way to start preparing your mind and body for new hurdles?
5. Entertainment: Tony is a very amusing trainer, always cracking jokes and coming up with silly moves for fitness purposes. It's a great way to keep your mind off the pain!
You may not have a chance to finish the full 90 days before your prom, but this definitely seems like a program that you'll see positive results from even after 30 days. And, with Summer only months away, it will surely have you in perfectly fit to be heading to the beach in June!
If you haven't seen enough of the ads yet, below is a great introductory video to P90X:
To get Shape Magazine's full list of reasons why to try P90X, check out their article "10 Reasons You Should Try P90X."
It's the New Year, and that means it's time for a New You! Since many of the Rissy Roo's staff made resolutions to work out more and eat healther in the New Year, we decided to make a special post today dedicated to getting fit in 2013! For some inspiration, we picked a celebrity that has always been known for being in great shape - Jessica Biel. So, if you ever need a little motivational push, just look up pics of Jessica and remind yourself to keep working hard!
Jessica Biel is well-known for being one of the fittest female celebrities in Hollywood. She knows how to get in tip top shape from head to toe without being too muscular. She does a ton of weight training, plyometric training, circuit training, and cardio!
If you want to have a strong and lean physique like Jessica Biel, follow these workout instructions below. But don't forget...consistently eating healthy and staying dedicated plays a huge part!
The Warm-up: Walking Lunges
Jessica warms up with walking lunges to get the larger leg and glute muscles stretched out. Do three to four sets of 8 – 12 repetitions per leg as shown in the video below.
Cardio + Cardio Interval Training
6 sprints with about 1 minute of rest between each sprint = Two sets of 200-meter sprints, then two sets of 150-meter sprints, and finally two sets of 100-meter sprints.
1. Stair Jumping - All you need for this one is a set of stairs. If stairs are not available, you can use any type of raised platform.
Instructions: Standing at the bottom of stairs, feet beside each other, jump up to the second step by skipping the first stair, and keep going along this pattern of skipping a stair each jump. Eventually, as your strength and skill increase, you can add the amount of stairs you jump over, going to 2 or 3 stairs skipped for each jump.
2. Jumping Squats - A plyometric jumping squat is pretty much a standing jump that begins and ends in a squat position.
Instructions: Starting in a squat position, use a burst of power to leap straight up into the air, then land back into a squat position. Do 2 – 3 sets of 12 repetitions.
1. Waist Exercise - You will need a five-pound medicine ball for this exercise.
Instructions: Sitting down and leaning back slightly with legs raised off the floor, twist from left to right reaching for each side 15 times, and do a total of three sets. The video below shows a really good example.
2. Biceps and Shoulders Exercise - For this exercise you'll need two ten-pound dumbbells.
Instructions: Stand with knees slightly bent. Hold 10-pound dumbbells in each hand. Do a bicep curl and then rotate your hands so your palms face outward, and do a dumbbell press by raising the weights above your head. Then reverse the move until you’re back to the starting position. Complete three sets of 10 to 12 reps.
Did you make a resolution to work out more in 2013? Leave a comment below and let us know!
This year's presidential election couldn't have been more exciting! With President Obama now back in office for a second term, we wanted to dedicate this Fitness Friday to his number one gal - Michelle Obama, of course!
Not only is the first lady an intelligent and admirable person, but she has awesome arms and amazing shoulders. They always manage to steal the show wherever they go!
First Lady Michelle Obama
Most of you probably skip the arm workouts. Listen ladies, men aren't the only ones who need to work out their arms, especially if you really want to rock your favorite sleeveless dress!
Believe it or not, you can actually get those chiseled Michelle Obama arms without even hitting the gym! Women's Health Magazine put together a simple arm workout that you can break out wherever you are - all you need is a set of 5-8 pound dumbbells! Check out the tips below so you can show off those sexy triceps and biceps and look fab at your next formal event! Just make sure to do the workout four to six times a week to get those arms in proper shape.
STANDING V RAISE:
1. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms at your sides, and palms in.
2. With arms straight but not locked, raise the weights diagonally in front of you, so that your arms form a V shape, until your arms are parallel to the floor
3. Hold for one second, then go back to where you started. Do 12 to 15 reps.
1. Holding a pair of dumbbells just above your shoulders, palms facing each other, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent
2. Press the weights until your arms are straight overhead
3. Hold for one second, then take three seconds to lower the dumbbells back to your shoulders. Do six to eight reps.
ROTATING TRICEPS KICKBACK:
1. Stand with your knees bent and lean forward slightly, with a dumbbell in each hand. Bend your right elbow to bring the dumbbell to your side, making your upper arm parallel with the floor
2. Press the dumbbell back, and as you straighten your arm, rotate it so that your palm faces the ceiling
3. Rotate it back so that your palm faces in, and return your arm to the bent position. Do 12 to 15 reps with each arm.
So, you are always hearing about how "great" yoga is, right? How good of a stretch it gives you, how relaxing it is, how well it gets your body in shape. Well, you hear correctly! It is actually a really good workout, especially if running on the treadmil is not all too appealing to you. You may never do the crazy balancing poses, but once you get a hang of the basics, you will feel stronger, leaner, more flexible, and of course ready to rock your new formal dress!
Fitness Magazine recommended some simple yoga poses that you can try to get you started and on the way to a more flexible you! Check them out below:
1. Mountain Pose
Stand tall with feet together, shoulders relaxed, weight evenly distributed through your soles, and arms at sides.
Take a deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other with arms straight. Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips.
2. Downward Dog
Start on all fours with hands directly under shoulders and knees under hips.
Walk hands a few inches forward and press palms into mat with fingers spread wide.
Curl toes under and press hips toward ceiling, bringing your body into an inverted V, pressing shoulders away from ears. Feet should be hip-width apart and knees slightly bent.
Hold for 3 full breaths.
Stand with legs 3 - 4 feet apart, turning right foot out 90 degrees and left foot in slightly.
Bring hands to your hips and relax your shoulders, then extend arms out to the sides, palms down.
Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee over ankle; gaze out over right hand. Stay for 1 minute.
Switch sides and repeat.
If you're looking for more yoga inspiration, Pinterest is a great place to check out - people post a slew of pictures on the site of various poses. In fact, all of the pictures above came from pins and re-pins on Pinterest! So, Downward Dog and pin away!
Pinterest has become one of the hottest online destinations for fashionistas, DIY crafters, and future brides. If you’re new to Pinterest, let me give you the run down. After requesting an invite you will be able to create your pin boards, dedicated to anything you’d like. On Rissy Roo’s we have boards dedicated to Little Black Dresses, Fun Accessories, Prom Hairstyles and more. Then you have the freedom to add any pins to your boards, which you can easily do while browsing through the site’s categories. Pins are images from websites that are creative, trendy, or lead to exciting advice. With thousands of pins to surf through, from household tips to creative hair-dos, it’s no wonder this new social platform is so addictive!
Health & Fitness has become one of the fastest growing sections of Pinterest, with users sharing their favorite tips on how to get in shape, stay slim, and maintain a healthy diet. Our pinboard “101 Ways to Fit In That Dress,” features the best tips on fitness, compiled for those of you looking to drop a dress size. There is advice on what to eat, how to fit a quick workout into your busy schedule, and even tips on how to stay on track with your weight loss.
After months of repining our most loved posts, we recommend you check out some of these fitness pins. Whether you’re new to Pinterest, or a seasoned veteran, here are some pins you have got to add to your fitness board:
1. Eat Your Heart Out – This pin details a specific week long diet that will help you lose weight fast. By focusing on specific foods each day, you’ll be able to flush out your system and drop some pounds fast.
2. Six-Pack Attack – Fitness Company Crunch created this pin, detailing the right exercises to do if you want a killer six-pack. It not only lists what exercises are perfect for an abs workout, but explains in detail exactly how to do them.